What is the Full Form of DPC in Construction?
The full form of “DPC” is “Damp Proof Course“, where “D” stands for “Damp“, “P” stands for “Proof” and “C” stands for “Course”. DPC (Damp Proof Course) as the name suggests is a layer of water-repelling material provided between the source of dampness and the building component in order to prevent the dampness in the building.
Requirements of an ideal material for Damp Proof Course (DPC)
- It should be impervious.
- It should be flexible.
- It should be easy to carry out leak proofing joints.
- It should be stable.
- It should be durable. Its life should be as much as the life of building itself.
- It should resist the load safely.
- It should not contain sulfates, chloride, and nitrates
- It should be cheap.
Materials for DPC
- Mastic Asphalt
- Bituminous or asphaltic felt
- Metal sheets
- Plastic sheets